Since 2001 I’ve been active in various facets of publishing, from writing, editing, and indexing to design and production.
I’m a certified professional editor and active member of Editors Canada (formerly the Editors’ Association of Canada). For several years I worked in house for D&M Publishers, at the time Canada’s largest independent book publisher, as both editor and editorial coordinator, developing editorial systems to improve communication with authors and freelance editors, streamline workflow, and minimize errors. I’ve also been a freelancer for a variety of clients, editing, indexing, and designing a spectrum of publication genres that includes educational books, scholarly journals, market research reports, and online guides. In 2012 I received Editors Canada’s Tom Fairley Award for Editorial Excellence, and in 2019 I won the Karen Virag Award for raising the profile of the editing profession.
I have an eye for detail and have worked extensively with standard style guides such as the Chicago Manual of Style and the Canadian Press Style Book. I was involved in updating the Professional Editorial Standards, published by Editors Canada.
I look forward to each project as an opportunity to learn something new.
- PhD in Health Sciences (Knowledge Exchange in Mental Health), Simon Fraser University
- Technical Communication Certificate, Vancouver Island University
- Master of Publishing, Simon Fraser University
- Master of Science (Physics), University of British Columbia
- Bachelor of Science (Honours in Physics), University of Alberta
- Plain Language in Health Literacy, SFU Plain Language Certificate
- Indexing: An Essential Art and Science, SFU Writing and Communications Program
- Beyond Track Changes: Editing with Microsoft Word, Editors’ Association of Canada seminar
- On-Screen Editing: Getting the Most out of Microsoft Word, SFU Writing and Communications Program
- Beyond the Reader: How Academic Editors Can Help Knowledge Users—Editors Canada conference
- How Accessible is Your Knowledge Product? A Four-Level Framework for Accessibility—Waypoint Research Institute Conference, KT Canada, Canadian Knowledge Mobilization Forum
- Editor as Advocate: Plain Language and Social Justice—Editors Go Global Conference and Editors BC meeting
- Editing Books in Translation—Editors BC meeting
Other Professional Development
- Organizer, PubPro: An Unconference for Managing Editors and Publication Production Specialists, 2013–2016
- Assessing Student Learning, SFU Writing and Communications Program teaching workshop
- Planning to Teach, SFU Writing and Communications Program teaching workshop
- Past member of the Editors’ Association of Canada Certification Steering Committee (national) and Programs Committee (BC branch)
- Ethics for Editors, Editors’ Association of Canada seminar
- Picture Research, Editors’ Association of Canada seminar
- Past member of the Editors’ Association of Canada Credential Maintenance Subcommittee
- An In-house Editors’ Open Discussion Group (as session leader), Editors’ Association of Canada Conference
- Grammar Fundamentals, Editors’ Association of Canada seminar
- Indexing: An Overview for Editors and Publishers, SFU Summer Publishing Program
- Punctuation and Mechanics, Editors’ Association of Canada seminar
- Plain Language Principles, SFU Writing and Publishing Program
- Secrets of Syntax, Editors’ Association of Canada seminar
- Clear and Concise: Guidelines for Style, Editors’ Association of Canada seminar
- Strategies for Book Editing, Editors’ Association of Canada seminar
- Usage Woes and Myths, Editors’ Association of Canada seminar
- Adobe Illustrator, Emily Carr University Continuing Studies
Although I am happy to work on a wide variety of nonfiction publications, I have a particular interest in cookbooks, as well as books about science and natural history, history, cultural studies, public policy, and language.