The second annual PubPro unconference for managing editors and publication production professionals took place on Saturday, May 24. We had ten fantastic sessions in a day packed with peer-to-peer learning and networking. Volunteers Megan Brand, Lara Kordic, and Lana Okerlund took notes, and their summaries of the sessions have been appearing weekly throughout the summer on Editors Canada’s BC branch newsletter, West Coast Editor. The last of them was posted last week, so I thought I’d give a round-up of the links:
- Judy Dunlop on indexing in Adobe Indesign Creative Cloud
- Editorial archiving (discussion led by Roma Ilnyckyj) and Peter Armstrong on LeanPub
- Managing large projects with many people (discussion led by Eve Rickert) and Merran Fahlman on the shift to digital at MEC
- Scope creep (discussion led by Eve Rickert)
- Iva Cheung on best practices for house style guides
- Revisions and reprints (discussion led by Jo Blackmore) and Shed Simas on the Flying Narwhal single-source workflow for magazines
- Testing your editors (discussion led by Anne Brennan)
Many thanks to this year’s attendees, including our stellar volunteers!
Want to see PubPro 2015 happen? Get in touch with me or with Editors Canada’s BC branch professional development co-chairs. I’d be keen to organize this unconference again but want to make sure others share my enthusiasm.